The Dog River Howlers finished second this weekend at the the International Abbotsford Rugby 7's which teams from six countries participated in. University of Saskatchewan Huskies running back Jeff Hassler who plays his rugby with the Calgary Hornets along with Calgary Irish's Ian Shoults led the way with scoring each with seven tries . Along the way to the final game which they lost 33-28 to the Fiji Ambassadors (8 players from their national team in their ranks) the Howlers racked up wins against the Cayman Islands National Team, Mexican National Team, Burnaby Lake Buffalos along with Valley High which was made up collection of high lever Canadian players most with national team experience. They lost one game in their preliminary round to Fijian club Ratsu Filise which had placed second to Canada's National Team at the previous week's Victoria 7's. Other prominent international teams competing in this tournament was a Kenyan National Team Selection and the British Army. The Howlers's next competition will be Mexico's Cancun 7's on November 26 and 27 followed by Cuba's Havana Howlers 7's on December 2 and 3.
Canada has announced their national squad for the Nations Cup( Canada, South Africa , England and USA) being played in Toronto in August . Three players (Maria Jaworski, Laura Stoughton and Kayla Mack) of the inaugural Howlers' women's 7's team competing this weekend in the Stampede 7's along with their manager Daniele Rowlands (a 15's lock hence decided not to play 7's) have been selected to this squad. Congratulations ladies and all the best.
The Dog River Howlers Rugby Club announced their U-18 squad that come from 5 provinces for Calgary's Stampede 7's on Saturday July 9. There are only 4 returnees( Anderson. Batttaglia, Heaton and Lawson) form the inaugural Howlers U-18 side that lost in the championship to the USA U-18 team at the February 2011 Las Vegas tournament. A number of outstanding young talented up and coming young ruggers have joined the Howlers for the Stampede 7's headed up by BC High School champions' (Shawnigan Lake School) captain and Canada U-17 player Monty Tichowsky.
The Howlers for the first time will have a men's, women's (inaugural) and U-18 men's side in this competition. Exiting stuff !!
Howlers U-18's for Calgary's Stampede 7's
1. Aaron McAdie - Edmonton Norwesters, Alberta
2. * # Robbie Anderson - Calgary Hornets, Alberta.
3. *Andrew Battaglia - Aurora Barbarians, Ontario
4. Jordan De Graaf - BC - Comox Kickers, BC.
5. Sean Flynn - Edmonton Clansmen, Alberta
6. Marcus Hackman - Edmonton Norwesters, Alberta
7. * Matthew Heaton - Ormstown Saracens, Quebec.
8. *Cameron Lawson - Vancouver Rowing Club, BC.
9. Kerry McElhanney - Edmonton Clansmen, Alberta.
10. # Monty Tichowsky - Lloydminster Reapers, Saskatchewan
11. William Jacklin Watt - Saskatoon Wild Oats , Saskatchewan
Coach - Robin Mc Dowell
Manager - Kevin Blanchette
* Denotes previous Howlers cap
# Denotes Canada U-17
The inaugural Dog River Howlers Women's team is set to compete in the Stampede Sevens Tournament on July 9th, 2011 in Calgary, Alberta.
This new Howlers team is made up of a handful of current and former National team players, some solid Provincial players, as well as some young up-and-comers from across the country. The women will be coached by Matt Parish from Edmonton, Alberta who brings a wealth of experience in both CIS and FISU rugby.
As the first Howlers Women team it was important to choose a good foundation of players that are upstanding individuals both on and off the pitch and who have the ability to contribute to the Howlers vision. These women will be captained by Maria Jaworski who has been instrumental in forming this new squad. Laura Stoughton will undoubtedly provide some 7s leadership to young players such as Kayla Mack from Saskatchewan and Rosie Riviera from Mexico.
The Stampede tournament has evolved over the years and now offers a top level men's and women's division with $2000 and $1000 in prize money for the top contenders respectively.
Player Name, Club, Province
1. Gill Allen, Kirin Womens Rugby Club, SK
2. Davine Burton, Toronto Scottish Rugby Football Club, ON
3. * Michele Helmeczi, Meraloma Rugby Club, BC
4. Maria Jaworski, Calgary Hornets Rugby Football Club, AB
5. * Shannon Kane, Velox Valkyries Rugby Club, BC
6. * Andrea Letal, Lethbridge Rugby Club, AB
7. Kayla Mack , Saskatoon Wild Oats Rugby Club, SK
8.* Laura Stoughton, Calgary Hornets Rugby Football Club, AB
9. Rosie Riviera, Orillia Warriors Rugby Club, ON (Mexico)
10. Lauren Whyte, Kirin Women's Rugby Club, SK
Coach -Matt Parish, Edmonton Clansmen Rugby Club, AB
Co-Manager - * Mike Holmes, Velox Rugby Club, Victoria, BC
Co-Manager - Daniele Rowlands , Calgary Hornets, Alberta
* denotes Canadian Cap
July, 1, 2011
Howlers announce their men's squad in defence of their Stampede 7's championship
There are 7 players returning from last years team (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.409643226253.190225.514726253&l=7e4241f374) that won this tournament. There is also only one uncapped Howler in this lineup - Nick Blevins.
1. # Nick Blevins - Calgary Hornets
2. * # James Buchanan - Calgary Hornets
3. * Thom Dutchak - Calgary Hornets
4. * Jeff Hassler - Calgary Hornets
5. * Peni Lutu - Regina Campion Grads
6. * # Robin Mc Dowell - Regina Rogues
7. * Dustin Mc Pherson - Calgary Hornets
8. * Clay Panga - Calgary Hornets
9. * # Ian Shoults - Calgary Irish
10. * Chase Sereda - Bayside Sharks
11. * Sam Val - Zehan - Calgary Irish
12. * Steve Woodward - Calgary irish
Coach -- * Ryan Smith - Calgary Irish
Manager -- * Leo Lane - Regina Rogues
Physio -- * Colleen Penman
Photographer -- * Judy Teasdale
* Previous Howlers cap
# Canadian cap (7's and or 15's)
The Howlers women's(this tournament will be their first ever) and Academy U-18 sides (second ever tournament) for the Stampede 7's will both be announced in a few days.
It is more than a game, it is a way of life!